Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Days Go By - Keith Urban


“Prison life consists of routine, and then more routine.” – Red, The Shawshank Redemption
I must say, I have learned to appreciate this quote.  My life is currently nothing but routine.  But as I slowly fall into the coma that is white collar employment, all hope seemingly lost, something rushes along and breaks that routine.  And you never realize how dull your routine was until you get out of it and look back on yourself, wondering who that poor sucker was and who did they tick off to get stuck there.  This moment seems to validate your existence.  You are alive, and you are happy about it!  Needless to say, today has been that day.This has happened for a number of reasons.


First, and the most exciting, my brain seems to finally have accepted the fact that one of my best friends is really and truly coming to see me tomorrow.  My mind is now afire, cycling through all the tasks that need to be completed prior to her arrival.  Vacuum the floors, do the dishes, make sure there is actual food in the fridge.  All the important stuff, of course.  Plans have begun to form in my mind, which either focus on shopping or food.  The story of our friendship, haha.  Then, if one friend visiting wasn’t enough to handle, another friend I have missed beyond measure is coming the following weekend.  This means I won’t be alone for the 4th of July weekend, which is much appreciated.  Also, he’s pretty cool to hang out with, I guess.


Second, I have actually validated my employment here with Tetra Pak.  I answered my first request solo and even caught a mistake in the system.  That’s right.  I added some of my knowledge and awareness to the giant pool of knowledge that is Tetra Pak.  I’m essentially “earning my pay check.”  I have never been so excited to complete a task in my entire life.  I know I am going to love this job. 
Third, I have begun to plan the adventure of a lifetime for my little sister.  She will be making her first journey by air to my humble apartment in Texas.  There is so much that needs to be done.  Plane tickets to be purchased, movie tickets to order, plans to be made.  I have never been so excited to plan a trip in my entire life!  Any connection with my family comes much appreciated and missed.  I wish I could fly everyone down here to see me, but that would be impractical.  Something about “you have no furniture” or “I have to work” or “you’re boring.”  (The last one is from my wonderful brother.  Thanks, jerkface.)
Anyway, praise God for breaking routine and continuing to bless me far above and beyond what I deserve.  Until next time, goodbye from sunny Texas!
“The blessing of the Lord brings wealth, and he adds no trouble to it.” Psalm 10:22

1 comment:

  1. Your brother deserves a smack for that comment! Hope your sis's visit went well!

    ReplyDelete